Who's a lucky girl?
It usually happens at some point during the conversation about our pending adoption. It's not a rude comment - and it's certainly well-intentioned. People tell us, "she's a lucky girl." Well...yeah...I guess. But my cats are lucky. I've always said that when I die I want to come back as one of my cats because they have one sweet life.
But truth be told, we believe that we're the lucky ones. And to understand this, you have to understand adoption - or at least what adoption means to us. Adoption isn't our "first runner up." And while it took us a while to wake up to it, adoption wasn't a decision so much as it was a realization. A realization that this is what we are meant to do, who we are meant to be. We feel chosen by God...special...lucky to have this honor and responsibility bestowed upon us.
And on that magical mystery date when they place Piper in our arms, we will embrace more than our beautiful baby girl. We will wrap our arms around her culture and heritage. Piper brings with her a vast continent, a centuries old civilization that will expand our horizons and enrich our lives beyond our imagination. Yes, we are the lucky ones. I'm the lucky girl.

<< Home