My latest obsession
Okay. I'm totally obsessed with the Great Wall. Not the Wall itself, rather the day we go to the Wall. Throughout this process, the Great Wall is one of the things I've looked forward to the most...a distant second or third to meeting Miss Piper, of course...but a highlight of our trip, nonetheless.
What am I obsessed about, you might ask? What I am always obsessed about: What am I going to wear?! We're not talking fashion, people. We're talking climbing that dang wall in hot as balls weather with nary a shade tree in sight. I don't give a whit what I look like (for once) I just want to...what's the word?...ummm...oh, yeah - survive.
An adoptive mom who's in China right now has a new saying: "Sweatin' like a Beijing tourist in July." Quaint, no?
So, I found this cute little shorts/skirt combo by Columbia designed for camping - not a skort, but - God help me, it's actually called a "scooter." I am at the point in my life where I'm wearing a "scooter." Let's call it a cute little shorts/skirt combo, shall we?
I'm thinking that, a tank, a jog bra, sunscreen and a ponytail with a headband. A headband to soak up the copious quantities of sweat that will be pouring from my scalp as I am a head sweater. That is, until I teeter on heat stroke at which point I will pass out and not give a whit about wearing something called a scooter.
Seriously, all fashion/survival issues aside, what a conundrum. Travel across the world and have the opportunity to see a manmade structure actually visible from space...only to be confronted with blazing temperatures and rampant humidity. You see, it's not so much hot as it is a moist heat.
What to do, what to do - well, as I always say, "it is what it is." I will go, wear my...sigh, scooter...and climb that dang Wall to the best of my ability before crying uncle. Who knows, we may luck out and have temps in the 80s that day! Either way...I'm wearing that scooter.

<< Home