PiperSzabo.com

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break" - Chinese Legend

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The afternoon knows

First Family Photo!

One of my favorite sayings is a Swedish proverb - "The afternoon knows what the morning never expected." That pretty much sums up yesterday. We began the day totally unaware of the joy ahead.


Around 11:15 a.m. I was on the phone with our fellow June DTCer, Dana. We were discussing whether or not we'd get "the call"...when...apparently, she did. I heard her say, "Hello? Yes - well, I'm on the phone with Karen right now...oh, okay."


When she got back on the phone, I said, "Is it Dillon? Is it Dillon?!" To which she merely replied, "I can't say! I've gotta go! Love ya - bye!"


I hung up the phone...stunned. I sat there and started to freak out. I called Gary's cell. I told him that I was on the phone with Dana when Dillon called. He said, "I know. I just got off the phone with Natalie (our Dillon case manager). I'm on my way to pick you up. We're going to go see our daughter!"

He said he was only about a mile away and would be at my office in a few minutes. The next few minutes are a blur but I remember shouting "she's here!", shutting my computer down, telling everyone what was happening - sorta - and, by all accounts, floating down the hall and out the door.

After a fast but legal drive down the highway, we arrived at Dillon...in tact and in shock.

After sitting down with Natalie and the China Program Director, Denise, Natalie explained that we would review Piper's medical information before seeing her photo...but added that there had been comments on how "gorgeous she is." Oh my...

Natalie started out by telling us that she's 6 1/2 months old. 11 pounds. 22 inches. That young? That tiny?

We then read all about our Paper Piper - her perfect medical exam, how she has a ready smile, laughs aloud, etc. We said we'd most certainly want to see her photo.

Paper Piper

And then, the moment we've waited for for so long - we saw our daugh
ter for the first time. At first, it was just a photo...but then...it became clear. This is our baby. This is our baby. And she's perfect for us.

First Look

We can't stop staring at her photo. Her beautiful face. The curiosity behind her intelligent eyes. Her tiny hands. Her chubby cheeks.

Many of you have asked when we will travel to pick her up. We have to wait for travel approval from the Chinese government. We expect to travel in about 6-10 weeks.


Many, many of you have commented that she even looks like us. We actually agree. Was she worth the wait? You betcha. Is this m
eant to be? Without a doubt. Can we wait to meet her? Barely.
With our Case Manager and Official Referral Day Photographer, Natalie